First and second Chemo treatments

March 7th was my first chemo treatment, my appointment was for 8:15 in the morning in another city nearby…just this one time because I would be there for 4-5 hours…and I was.

Transportation picked me up just a little after 7:00 in the morning, I arrived at Loma Linda Medical Center a half hour before my scheduled appointment.  There were so many people in the waiting area…all waiting for treatment.

My nurse was there, I was seated in a comfortable chair, IV pole right next to me.  My nurse asked me if I had taken my Tylenol and Benadryl, yes I had…another nurse cut in and said I would be receiving more Benadryl via IV…which I had a slight reaction to…made me feel like I was a little confused.

Sterile Saline is run into the vein once the IV is started, then came along a couple of other smaller pouches piggy backed into the Saline.  I did become sick to my stomach…in part because I did not eat anything, and a mild reaction to that Benadryl.  It didn’t last long however.  I also had a B12 shot.

Transportation picked me up right away, and when I got home…I took a nap!  I was tired. I think I was tired more because I did not sleep well the night before and got up extra early to feed my three cats, make my Mother’s breakfast, prepare her a plate for lunch and make sure she had plenty of water.  Mom is sedentary and 88 years old.

Today, March 8th I had an early morning appointment at the local office…they have two offices, and my local office will be where I will go from now on….I had a chemo treatment and that lasted for one hour.  You get the drug along with the Sterile Saline.  I truly don’t feel anything.

Tomorrow morning I have to take 500 mg of Tylenol, 25 mg of Benadryl and 75 mg of Zantac one half hour before all of my Leukine shots. After tomorrow’s shot I have more shots coming….10 of them and even on Saturday and Sunday. A shot a day. I was handed a schedule.  Each Monday beginning the 13th of March through April 3rd I have lab appointments for three different non fasting lab tests.  I will see the Dr. on the 23rd of the month. April 3rd & 4th chemo treatments.

I was to begin with iron today, but a patient was having a reaction to her iron which is given through the IV and my nurse told me she would put mine off for another day and too because I had experienced a reaction yesterday as well as she didn’t want two patients with reactions!  So that made sense to me!

I gave my sister a copy of my treatment schedule so she knows what is going on, where I will be at different times of each day.  My sister is a huge help to me in the care of our Mother.  She comes over twice a week to bathe and shampoo her hair and goes through her bathroom that I have a weak stomach about…I truly do.  So yes…a huge help.  She has also helped with our Mother’s wash, but I do it up as well. Between us, we are always busy.  If my sister can not come her daughter, my niece will come by after her work to see that Mom is bathed and her hair shampoo’d.  So as long as her needs are meant we are all good.

I don’t know how I will feel as things progress along, my own PCP had cancer and told my sister that it was rough on him and there was no way I would be able to continue on with the care of our Mother.  While everyone is different, we will need to see how things go. I don’t feel any different today then I did last week with two chemo treatments behind me, but I don’t know how those shots or if those shots will change things for me…will have to see after that first one.

I also noticed on my schedule my chemo amounts increase in April so perhaps things will all change but I am still going to remain positive and do my best. It is about all one can do.

I will keep us updated on everything I experience, until then…have a great evening!

15 thoughts on “First and second Chemo treatments

  1. Thank you for sharing, Sandra. I look forward (strange sentiment) to sharing in your journey. I am pleased that as of now you feel the same as ever. Do what you need to do now while you have the energy. From my experiences with others, it seems that as the drug and its effects mount up and then you will begin to feel tired and have much less energy. I know that it always works differently but you are aware of this and your attitude is good. My prayers are continuing.

    Liked by 1 person

    • Thank you so much dear Jennifer. I tend to agree…I feel they are getting my body use to a little at a time, and overtime…I will feel exactly as you stated…tired with less energy. This is why I have worked outside and worked on a lot of different things around my place before all of this began. After the last rain….more weeds!! Lol!! I will need to get outside tomorrow and get to work again on them. Thank you for your prayers and your support. Love you always xoxo ❤


  2. Dear Sandra, Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I wish so much that I was nearby and could be there to help, or just keep you company at least. I will be here on the Internet with you and you will be included in my prayers throughout the day. We never know what this life will bring us and at the end of the day we do our best and give the Lord the rest to see us through. I love you dear Sandra. Please rest when you can.but, I know keeping busy will help as well. God bless you. xoxo💞💞💞

    Liked by 1 person

    • Aw…Your words are always so comforting to me Dear Susan, they truly are. I wanted to write something yesterday, but my little nephew was going into surgery this morning for his heart issue and I feel he is so much more important than I am right now….at this moment, he is still in recovery. It has been a very long, long day for this active 12 yr. old. I fell asleep praying and woke up praying today. Being in prayer is a safe place to be and I always feel like my prayers are heard. I love you too Dear Susan and will continue to keep you posted. God Bless you xoxo ❤


    • Thank you so much!! I am going to do just what you do, and everyone else does going through all of this….keep strong and positive. Yesterday I wasn’t on line after posting, a very bad headache and I think because I didn’t have my coffee as I usually do rushing around to get to my appt! Today I feel normal again! Lol!!! I hope your day is going well, I enjoy so much the positive writings from you, and your positive messages. Thank you! Have a great day! 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Hi Sandra! You are doing great! One day at a time. You are right, it is what it is! I am sure you are uneasy not knowing what to expect. But there is no point in worrying about April now. Just remember everyone is different. Your body may not react like the next persons. You do not need to be Wonder Woman. Just do the best you can do. Your Mom can be a big help to you. I am sure you do not want to upset her. But she is your Mom, so if you are dealing with something, I am sure she wants to feel like she is helping. It is wonderful that you have your sister and niece to help your Mom. I am sure that helps some of your concerns. Remember to rest and try to stay hydrated. 😍😍😍😍😍

    Liked by 1 person

    • Yes, one day at a time for sure!! I let my mom know about everything that is going on because she should know and it is helpful that she does know! I will be fine and no wonderwoman stuff from me either! Lol!!! Love you!! ❤ xoxo


I would love to read your lovely comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s